KETO: Ham & Cheese Scone/Biscuit/Cookie??
As I posted on FB today, we have gone with a #Keto diet.
This started just before the end of 2016. Jack was having lots of issues with food. Being the self-appointed-Dr.-Google that I am, I had diagnosed him with a rare condition. He had a myriad of very strange symptoms that were totally unrelated but if you put them all together - it equaled something specific. I won't go into what I thought was wrong - but I will say that some of the bigger points were that he had an insatiable appetite AND I could not get him to lose any weight, despite every trick known to me. That's saying a lot since I'm a health coach, huh?
You have to keep in mind that it's usually just the two of us here, and while Jack is the youngest of 3, he is mostly growing up as an only child. And...don't forget that he's #Autistic. So, when I would plate up our meals, I almost had to get a tape measure out because if it even seemed like I was getting one bite more than him, I'd hear about it. Portion control has always been a big thing with us. Additionally, after we'd eat, within 5 minutes of completing a meal, he'd complain of starvation. He even started sneaking food, which if you knew my kid, you'd know that is something not really in his DNA!
Due to some test results that came back with his thyroid, and because I suspected this weird 'disease', I took him to a pediatric endocrinologist who suggested that we eliminate carbs entirely.
It seems the only place this really hurt us was with our traditional morning smoothie. Which we loved and miss. Oh, and popcorn. In reality, it has made things a lot easier.
Jack has lost over 20 pounds since the beginning of the year. How cool is that? My gas and bloating are almost non-existent, and that's saying something. Additionally, I no longer have those wonky low-blood-sugar issues in the AM if I don't eat close to the time that I wake up, and because we generally eat a larger lunch, neither of us is hungry by dinnertime. Once again, had I not lived through it, I'd have found it difficult to believe.
Anyway - the reason I'm visiting tonight is to post a recipe I tweaked today for a friend who asked for an idea for breakfast.
So, I'm giving you my...
Ham and Cheese Scone/Biscuit/Cookie recipe!
1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
4 TBS. COLD Butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup Almond Milk
1 large organic free-range egg!
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup diced Ham
2 Scallions, sliced thin
1) Preheat oven to 375°
2) Get out a small and medium sized mixing bowl
3) In the small bowl, combine the egg and milk
4) In the medium sized bowl, combine the 2 flours, baking powder, salt, and butter. Either using a pastry knife OR your fingers, mix the flours and butter together until butter is well distributed through the flour mixture.
5) Add in cheese, ham, and scallion to the flour mixture.
6) Add milk/egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine. It get thicker as it sits.
7) On a parchment lined sheet of paper, place scoops of dough on a sheet pan. I got 12 'scones/biscuits/cookies out of this recipe. I rolled them in balls and then flattened them.
8) Bake until brown. I'd say at least 25 minutes.
The Nutritional Breakdown is as follows:
1 Serving = 1 Scone/Biscuit/Cookie
Total Fat: 13.8g
Sat. Fat: 5.7g
Trans Fat: .3g
Total Carb: 5.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8g
Net Carb: 2.6g